Friday, November 23, 2012

How Not To Get Off Track This Holiday Season


As I sit here digesting my turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, Apple, Pumpkin, Coconut Custard, and Pistachio Pudding Pie (yes I tried each one!), not to mention my AMAZING clean-but-not-so-clean Pumpkin Cream Cheese Whoopie Pies, I am reminded that the day after Thanksgiving starts the beginning of a new era. If you're a hardcore shopper, no doubt your thoughts immediately go to the Black Friday sales. If you're a "Before-Thanksgiving-Is-Way-Too-Early-For-Christmas-Lights" Bah-humbug-er, you assume I mean the start of what is considered fair game for all of the decorations, music, and general holiday madness to begin. But if you are a health nut, dieter, or just your average health-conscious individual, you KNOW what I'm talking about. So let's talk about it. It seems silly to treat it like the elephant in the room, don't you think?

This is the time of year that you will inevitably put on those extra holiday pounds, right? Maybe. Or maybe not. You cannot ignore the fact that along with this time of year comes an excess of not-so-healthy foods, what with all the chocolate, baked goods, eggnog, and not to mention, the holiday feast.

I am a huge advocate for making allowances for "unhealthy" foods on special occasions. Having lived with the crippling fear that one holiday meal or one slip-up will send my progress flying into reverse, I understand the impulse to want to bring your chicken, brown rice and veggies in Tupperware to Christmas dinner. Please DO NOT DO THIS - I'm begging you!  

But at the same time, don't just sit back and settle for what you think is the inevitable weight gain during this time of year. Yes, it's FINE to enjoy yourself and your time with loved ones around the holidays, but you don't want to be one of the ones who has to make the dreaded New Years' Resolution to lose all the weight you packed on during the holidays!

I have never been a fan of gearing my progress TOWARD a specific event or date. I find that I actually lose focus and momentum if I give myself a deadline. This is just my life. It's not a temporary fad diet, there's no finish line, and my goals are constantly changing. If you've ever heard the saying "It's a marathon, not a sprint" then you get where I'm going with this. I wouldn't say "I have to lose this amount of weight by such-and-such a date." I'll lose the weight doing it the healthy way, in whatever time frame my body needs to do it in. So it wouldn't make sense for me to schedule my setbacks around the calender, either. 

Yes, they ARE going to happen eventually - that is inevitable. No one's perfect. But you are setting yourself up for these setbacks when you go into something with the expectation that you will fail. Finding a healthy balance between enjoying your holidays and enjoying your progress is key.

So what's the secret to having a healthy, happy and WELL-BALANCED holiday season? The trick is to choose your battles wisely and to take a minute to sit back and create a plan for what you want to allow yourself during the holiday season. Here are a few things to consider:

1. Ask yourself  "What are the food traditions that are the most important to me during this time?" Is it the Italian 7 Fishes Christmas Eve dinner, the Potato Latkes at Grandma's house, the...FRUITCAKES...??? (Hey, I'm not judging - whatever floats your boat!) While there are going to be plenty of things that will be passed around in the next month that will look tempting and delicious, the important thing is to practice moderation. Instead of eating every temptation that comes your way in the spirit of holiday cheer, take the time to say "Is this important enough to me to put my progress on hold?" Some things are - don't get me wrong (my Potato Latkes are THAT good - just sayin'!). But not everything is. Some things JUST taste good and hold no sentimental or traditional value, and therefore...do you really need them? It's learning to identify the difference that will make or break your progress this season. 

2. Identify your challenges. For me, my weakness is all of the little treats that my clients bring me during the holidays - candies, cookies, and those cinnamon-sugar pecans my boss's stepmom makes and sends to the salon every year! While I am always thankful for the holiday wishes that come along with them, the treats themselves hold no sentimental value and don't involve any family traditions that I wouldn't want to go without, but I'm a sucker for them anyway. Admitting it is half the battle and raising your awareness of it will help you to reason your way out of mindlessly munching on them until the container is empty!

3. Eat the things you really want to during the holidays and GET OVER IT! Don't beat yourself up over minor setbacks. One cheat meal or even cheat day is not going to set back your progress irreversibly. Creating an unhealthy mindset riddled with guilt and shame, however, will. Allowing yourself to feel guilty only brings down your self-esteem, which will eventually lead to you giving up on your goals. REPEAT AFTER ME:  IT HAPPENED. NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT. NOW MOVE ON.

The important thing to remember is to ENJOY this time with family and friends! Don't allow it to become your enemy by messing with your head or your progress! 

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy holiday season!  :)

~Sara 

No comments:

Post a Comment