Sunday, December 30, 2012

How To Stick To Your New Year's Resolution

I've made it no secret I'm not a fan of New Year's Resolutions. I never have been. On the few occasions I've decided to make one, I'd be generous if I said I made it a whole week before breaking it. Whether it's deciding to become more organized or more fit, the way I see it is: If you are setting a specific date in which you are going to set out on your journey, it means that you are putting it off because you see it as an unpleasant task. It means you don't WANT to perform whatever the action is that is necessary to reach your destination. And to me, that means that you don't WANT said destination as badly as you think you do. That's just me...

So if I don't believe in setting Resolutions for the start of the new year, then why am I writing a blog post about how you can keep your New Year's Resolution? Good question. Well, the thing is there are still LOTS of people who DO believe in making them. (I assume if you are reading this, you're one of them, yes?) All around the world people are taking a good long look at their life and brainstorming things they want to change about it. And that's commendable, no matter what time of year it is. Far be it from me to rain on that kind of parade. 

I'm a HUGE advocate for self-reflection, self-improvement and goal setting. I have spent the better part of 2 years trying to step back as objectively as I possibly can and nail down the things that I like, dislike, and want to improve about myself. Needless to say, it's been quite a life-changing journey.

And THAT is why I am writing this post. Because all of you out there who are about to set out on your own life-changing journeys via 2013 Resolutions DESERVE to see it through. I suppose you could say if I was going to set a Resolution, that would be it - to help others see their New Year's Resolutions come to fruition. 

That being said I have one key piece of advice for making sure you keep it: 

KNOW YOUR RESOLUTION INSIDE AND OUT.

ALLOW ME TO ELABORATE:

KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE: DON'T BE VAGUE ABOUT YOUR GOALS. BE SPECIFIC IN WHAT YOU ARE SETTING OUT TO DO.

KNOW WHY YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE IT: WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION RIGHT NOW -THIS VERY SECOND - FOR WANTING THIS? I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH THE IMPORTANCE OF KEEPING THIS FRONT AND CENTER IN YOUR BRAIN, BECAUSE THERE ARE GOING TO BE DAYS WHEN YOU LOSE SIGHT OF IT AND YOU WILL NEED TO GO BACK TO THE BEGINNING AND ASK YOURSELF WHY YOU'RE DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

KNOW HOW TO ACHIEVE IT: BLINDLY POKING AROUND AT YOUR GOAL HOPING IT WILL FALL INTO YOUR LAP WILL NOT GET YOU FAR. TAKE THE NECESSARY STEPS TO EDUCATE YOURSELF ABOUT HOW TO GO ABOUT IT. THE ABUNDANCE OF RESOURCES VIA THE INTERNET AND SOCIAL MEDIA HAVE MADE WHAT USED TO BE CONSIDERED CLASSIFIED INFORMATION EASILY ACCESSIBLE.


Time to take a good look at the person staring back at you in the mirror and ask...
"Are you ready to kick some butt???"


Don't make a Resolution just to make one, and don't make it because that's what everyone else expects you to do, or because that's what everyone else is doing. TAKE A GOOD LONG LOOK AT THE PERSON STARING BACK AT YOU IN THE MIRROR AND ASK THAT PERSON IF THEY ARE READY TO SET OUT ON THIS JOURNEY. IF THEY CAN LOOK YOU IN THE EYE AND SAY "YES" BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT, YOU'RE GOLDEN!


Happy New Year everyone! 

XOXO, 

Sara

2 comments:

  1. You look great! I hope to be in a lot better shape by my birthday in May (that's the goal anyway).

    Just did a post about new fitness clothing that I recently purchased - so I'm motivated to start again after a much too long detour from working out.

    Monica
    www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Monica! Just checked out your post and LOVED it! Funny how what you wear to work out can be such a great motivator! I was on the fence about whether I need a new pair of workout shoes but after reading your post I kind of want that new shoe springy feeling again whether my old ones are due to be replaced or not lol! Thanx for sharing and good luck with your new goals! :)

      Delete