Thursday, February 7, 2013

New and Improved Protein Pancakes

Part of living a healthy and fit lifestyle is self-improvement. In the spirit of that, I thought I'd share some of the improvements I've been making to one of my favorite breakfast recipes. I've actually taken the original recipe down because when I read over the post, there were a few things I knew I wanted to change, so I thought it would just be easier to make a new one. If you are familiar with that one, there were a couple of other breakfast recipes in that post that I will re-post later in the week but for now, I give you the new and improved:

Not-So-Cardboard Protein Pancakes (Note: Hubby said he actually enjoys these even more than real pancakes...and that's saying something, because he wasn't a fan of my earlier attempts at protein pancakes!)


As you can see, my flipping skills have significantly improved! :)
Ingredients:
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 scoop your fave protein powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
Cinnamon to taste
Sweetener to taste (I do about 2 Tbsp of Stevia!)
1/4 cup Cottage Cheese (I like 1 %, but choose your desired fat content!)
1 egg white
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
Water
Non-stick cooking spray
Blueberries (optional)

Directions:
1. Add dry ingredients to a bowl and mix.
2. Add wet ingredients, except water and mix. You will get a THICK consistency. 
3. Add water, a little at a time, until desired pancake batter consistency (this may vary based on preference!)
4. Add blueberries (or chocolate chips, or strawberries, or bananas, or whatever you have a taste for that day, you get the idea!)
5. Spray a little cooking spray into batter and mix well (this is the only way I've gotten them not to stick, it works like a charm!)
6. Spray pan and put desired amount of batter in pan,
7. Cook on medium heat and flip when edges start to lift off pan! (The second side will cook quickly after this!)

Nutrition Facts: (without blueberries - this will vary based on your ingredients!)
Calories: 266
Protein: 34 grams
Carbs: 28 grams
Fat: 2 grams

*Makes about 8 medium pancakes, depending on how "medium" you make them!

Now grab a fork and enjoy...or not...to be honest they're so good I'd just eat them with my hands... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment